Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Advanced Uses of Microsoft Word and Basic Microsoft Excel

Typing the required exercise was relatively quick and easy and changing the format of the text was fun and enabled me to customise my entry. Using Microsoft Word is very easy and straightforward. It is extremely useful for university purposes, such as typing an essay or even just study notes. Having the knowledge and ability to apply basic functions using Microsoft word such as headers and footers and double spacing, will make my university essays appear more academic. Moving onto more complex things, track changes and mail merge is a little bit tricky. Fortunately Microsoft Word has a very efficient help function which step by step informs you how to work through these tasks. In first year university these functions aren't extremely useful, however it is apparent that in later years and especially in the workforce these can be easily applied to my everyday work. More practise will ensure I will become more fluent in using these applications.

Using Microsoft Excel for the first three exercises were also quick and easy. It is quite important to be able to perform these tasks as no matter what area of study you are in, it is very likely that at some point you will need to create a graph or even just a table. Using macros is a bit harder to do, however once again the help button is very useful. However I could easily do this exercise without having to refer to it, but if in the future I forgot how to do this, I could simply have a look at the steps provided. This is not as useful to me, because in my area of study, I do not have to make huge graphs or tables or get given a lot of data to order, unlike those in business or science. However knowing how to do this is definitely an advantage for the future.

No comments: